The boss of EasyJet has said he would feel “100% safe” flying on full planes as the airline resumed a limited number of flights after a 10-week hiatus.
Johan Lundgren told the PA news agency the airline had followed international guidelines to step up hygiene ahead of a resumption of services on Monday.
Passengers and crew will wear masks and planes will be deep-cleaned often.
But passengers will not have to sit 2m apart, despite calls for middle seats to remain empty for social distancing.
“That was a proposal early on from one of the regulators,” Mr Lundgren told the BBC’s Today programme.
“But the recommendations that have come out from international authorities… which are also supported by the different local regulators do not include social distancing measures on board the aircraft.”
The idea of keeping middle seats empty has been strongly criticised by some airlines, with Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary calling it “idiotic” and warning it would make commercial flights unviable.
But Easyjet said previously it would follow the practice to encourage more people to fly, and some Asian countries have made it a rule.